Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Maya Angelou

Maya Angelou died today. I must confess that growing up I didn’t pay much attention to her. That wasn’t about her specifically. I didn’t like to read and I especially didn’t like poetry so I just didn’t have the appreciation that I gained as an adult.  For me, she was a hero in recent years. A few years ago I started getting depressed. Not just a little down, I felt the darkness starting to take over me. Keeping the rescue going in a down economy just tends to take a toll on someone. I had read a few books and was working to keep myself from being completely consumed but it was Maya Angelou that helped me snap out of it.  I was flipping through channels and caught a program on Oprah’s network called Master Class and the whole hour was about Ms. Angelou. There was something about the way she spoke and the words she chose that drew me in.  I felt so uplifted and inspired after watching her. It doesn’t seem real that someone can just “snap out of it” when they are so depressed but it certainly felt that way for me. What she said made a difference to me at precisely the time I needed to hear it.


“Just do right.  Be all that you can be. Live your life in a way that you won’t regret.  You make your own choices.  Make it a better world.  It can be better.  It must be better, but it is up to us.”- Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment